Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Jellygate


So, for those of you who do not, like sane people, track test cricket as though your lives depended on it, India just crushed England by seven wickets in the second Test.

No, wait. I'm here about the jelly beans. When India was in to bat on Sunday, someone was chucking jellybeans surreptitiously onto the pitch in front of Zaheer Kahn. This has caused somewhat of a kerfuffle and a great deal of pretty hilarious radio call-in op-eddish material.

I must confess that I think sledge-by-jellybean is hilarious. But I am absolutely gobsmacked by a quote that, so far as I can see, has passed with no comment, perhaps because it doesn't need it. Of the incident, English batsman Paul Collingwood purportedly said:

“Zaheer wasn’t too pleased. I think he prefers blue jelly beans to the pink ones.”

Wait.

Was that a homophobic slur disguised in a jellybean?

Am I being too subtle here? Maybe it's just me ...

8 comments:

Betsy O'Donovan said...

I just read the entire Wikipedia entry on sledging and I am here to tell you in my most bewildered American fashion that it was not written in English.

Or, perhaps it was and that's the problem.

Tom Bozzo said...

My cat's breath smells like cat food.

(Or, what O'Donovan said.)

Xtin said...

*sigh*

Tom Bozzo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tom Bozzo said...

To respond to the question, you're not necessarily imagining it (depending on whether we're talking about Collingwood or the bean-thrower). I believe latent homosexuality and homophobia have been spotted together on various occasions.

Tom Bozzo said...

...and here's Tom Tomorrow making a similar point, with a funny picture.

Xtin said...

Gotta laugh, or I'll cry.

Scrivener said...

I thought latent homosexuality and homophobia were not just sometime-cotravelers but more like flip sides of the same coin. Aren't they always in accompaniment?